Martes, Abril 12, 2016

Blog and stories... Radio: Happy Farewell

While preparing to launch my portfolio website I decided to update my blog, sayang naman if I just leave it empty. I told my webpage designer to include it on the hompage buttons. Para ma ubliga ako na lagyan ng laman. I've been through many challenges since the start of the year. Not the bad ones though... more on career, motherhood challenges. Trust me I'm used to it... I always see these challenges as a blessing in disguise. A time for me to prioritise  and focus on what's important.

Family comes first, whenever I am faced with a decision that would make me choose between my career or family.  Hindi na tinatanong yan. I would never trade my time away from daughter with a blossoming career. 

Why I left Oomph radio? Here's the back story.. if you have time to open this blog. Then you're going to waste another ten minutes haha. Well, a year ago I was offered to manage Oomph. I was hesitant in the beginning. I had a business then, called Flazo, I bake from home and sell my flavored brazo de mercedes online or join my fellow momprenuers sell our products in mall bazaars. I was also a University professor, events coordinator, host and Voice talent.  One day I got a call from manila. I was referred by a common friend. He asked if  I was willing to step out of my retirement to manage a CHR(Contemperary Hit Radio, Top 40 with a mix of OPM) radio station. Dahil first love ko ang radio I called for a meeting and asked my family  members if they want me to go back to radio. They know that radio is close to my heart and it's something that I'm really passionate about. I can work in Radio with a meagre salary pero you'll never hear me complain. So when my squad said yes. I accepted the job offer.

However, I had a DIVA demand haha condition lang naman. Before I accepted the offer, I've been hearing a lot about Oomph. My fellow broadcaster warned me that it is and eventually will be a  MASA Station because one, VIVA owns it, 2nd the songs being played before I took over... Oldies--the likes of Imelda Papin, April Boy Regino. I have nothing against these brilliant singers and MASA stations. In fact I have friends working and pouring their hearts out entertaining listeners of this type of market.  MASA is a very challenging format, it requires a different skills set. One thing I learned from this business is how to be true to yourself, true to your core and what you stand for. I was promised that when I take over, Oomph will have a CHR format, catering to the market I am familiar with, which is the MIXFM market.

So I got the chance to manage 97.1 for a year and 4 months. The station was never launched. Why? kasi busy lahat ng artista to travel to Davao. Basically yun lang yun. hehehe. However, we were able to celebrate our 1st year with the initiative of local management. I'll just leave it there.

Bakit nga ako nagresign? One day, one of the bosses called to incorporate an Oldies playlist during Sundays. I took that as a sign. Diba kaloka ang daming walang trabaho tapos eto ako namili hindi naman pinapaalis, nasa VIVA na, nagresign pa. Remember, I had conditions. Why was it so easy for me to leave Oomph? It wasn't. Imagine, I single handedly produced and worked on the image of  Oomph from Cebu, Davao and Zamboanga. Boss Vic Del Rosario loved the idea and promoted me as Regional Production Head in less than 6 months. I was handling, Marketing, Regional Production, Training, Events, Managing... Sulit diba... We where able to beat top CHR stations in less than 8 months. We trained our own talents, from zero to hero.

So what really happened? When they appointed a new Production Director(the one who handles the playlist) and decided to change the Sunday format without the consensus of my boss and Station managers. I smelled something fishy.  That's when I said.  This is not what I signed up for. Spending time in Radio is time away from my daughter. Whatever I do, I always make sure that it's worth it. Lalo na at lumalaki na ang anak ko. I value the trust and confidence my employers give me. In return, I show my gratitude through hard work and I always give more than what is expected. Yes, I may have conditions, but I work hard and deliver results. I am proud of my work ethics and people I've worked with can attest to that.

So I called my very cool Operations Manager, Andrew, that we know exactly where these changes are heading. Of course for them my resignation was so sudden. Akala siguro nila nagbibiro ako about "what I signed up for" line I always tell them. But if you stick to your principles, 99% of your decisions are already made. Life is a game, you win some, you lose some.. It was a bitter sweet ending for my stint at Oomph. But I still encourage you to listen to radio. Radio will still give you something to look forward to.

I hope that answers the Private Messages I get every now and then. Thank you for your trust and support. I appreciate the time you spent with Oomph while I was still there. For listening and for believing in our vision. We had a great time making you happy and entertained. I guess at the end of the day, what matters is how we made you feel and the happiness we brought to your household.

Another question? babalik po ba kayo or lilipat ng ibang station?

The answer is YES and YES. I can't elaborate further. But you'll definitely hear from and about me hehehe.

Always keeping the dream alive. Till the next.


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento